Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Felt Doughnuts

A while back, I was bitten by the felt food bug. I wanted to make a boat load of felt food for my little girl (almost 3 years old) to play with. I was pretty sure that she'd go as crazy for it as I had. I started searching for tutorials and found this summary on ohdeedoh.

Included on that page was a link to a tutorial on Skip to My Lou for felt doughnuts. They seemed like the perfect starter project: Quick and simple! So I enlisted a couple of my friends to help and went to the craft store to buy all the stuff. I spent about $10, which bought me enough crap, I meant craft felt to make a TON of doughnuts. (And I have a lot left over.)

(Side note: As mentioned in a previous post, don't buy the crap/craft felt. Spend the extra money for the nice wool stuff. You won't regret it.)





What's better than an even dozen of doughnuts? A cute pink box to put them in! The box came with a take-out lunch, believe it or not. I painted it pink and stuffed all my doughnuts in it.


My favorite doughnut is the cream filled one. I modified the pattern by not cutting out a hole and then just did a "tab" of white felt to be the filling. I LOVE the way they turned out!

A note about this project: The pattern uses a sewing machine a lot. By the end, I realized that, either due to my marginal sewing skills or my marginal machine, it was not easy to make the sewing look good when it was on the outside. For the middle of the doughnuts, I ended up sewing some of them by hand and I think they looked a LOT better.

No comments: